The warm, peaceful aroma of cinnamon brought her to the leaders of the most beloved spices. It was appreciated by the representatives of the ancient civilizations of China, India, Egypt, not only as a spice, but also as a powerful healing tool. She was even honored in Ayurveda, an Indian treatise on health.
- It has an antispasmodic effect, therefore it is recommended for painful menstruation. It can reduce irritability in the premenstrual period, give vigor.
- Constant use stabilizes the menstrual cycle, strengthens the libido.
- With overweight. Accelerates metabolic processes, removes excess fluid, stimulates the gastrointestinal system. In the complex makes it productive and safe for weight loss. Able to reduce appetite if it is elevated due to stress.
- For care of appearance. Cinnamon oil is used in recipes to improve the condition of hair, face skin, in the fight against cellulite.
- From prostatitis. Antimicrobial properties eliminate pathogens that cause diseases of the urinary and reproductive systems: urethritis, prostatitis, candidiasis. Stimulates blood circulation in the pelvic organs. Prophylactic use reduces the risk of inflammation of the prostate gland.
- Prevention of heart attack. One of the causes of frequent heart attacks after 40 years in men is excessive blood viscosity. Cinnamon thins it.
- Aphrodisiac. Aroma awakens sexual desire, increases the sensitivity of erogenous zones.
- With high mental stress. Improves cognitive functions, memory, concentration. This makes it useful for schoolchildren, especially during exam preparation.
- During the period of autumn and spring epidemics of influenza and ARVI. The ability of cinnamon to restore immunity increases the body's resistance to viral and bacterial infections.
Harm and contraindications
Cassia is a kind of cinnamon that is really harmful, whereas Ceylon is contraindicated only in some cases. The difference in the concentration of the toxic substance coumarin, which is contained in both species. In Ceylon, it is 0.002% by weight, in Cassia - 0.2%. Coumarin has a negative effect on the liver.
The properties of Ceylon spice, which are useful in some diseases, may be harmful in others. Contraindications:
- With gastric ulcer, gastritis with high acidity - increases the secretion of gastric juice.
- People with a heart condition, suffering from hypertension - stimulates heartbeat and blood circulation.
- People with low blood clotting, when taking drugs that thin the blood - has the same property.
- Pregnant - stimulates the muscles of the uterus.
- People with individual intolerance.
- Children up to three years.
How and how much to take cinnamon
Eating cinnamon at home is limited to half a teaspoon per day. Usually all recipes suggest this particular volume. If a large dose is indicated, then one serving should be consumed within a few days.
The ability to speed up metabolic processes make it an excellent fat burning agent. For best effect, you can combine with other products that are useful for the figure.
- Ginger. It has a stimulating effect on metabolic processes. A piece of ginger root peeled and crushed, add cinnamon powder, pour a liter of boiling water. Insist until cooling, closing the container with a solution with a lid and well wrapped. Drink filtered infusion before meals for ½ cup. Keep refrigerated.
- Kefir. Improves digestion, which is important in the fight against obesity, well satisfy hunger. A glass of low-fat kefir with cinnamon is a great diet breakfast.
- Cottage cheese. Useful for losing weight women, and spice, replacing sugar, will create a delicious dessert.
- Honey. A tablespoon is mixed with cinnamon, pour ½ cup of hot, but not boiling water. Insist wrapped in a towel for 40-60 minutes. Drink after meals for 14 days, then take a break of 12-14 days and repeat the cycle.
- Bay leaf. It is useful for losing weight, because it cleanses the body of toxic substances, reduces cholesterol. Ground cinnamon and 4 bay leaves are poured with a liter of boiling water. Insist 2 hours. Take before breakfast for ½ cup. Store in the refrigerator.
In the diet
Cinnamon is sometimes perceived as a product harmful to the figure, since the main food association that arises with it is buns and desserts. But one should not think that her companions are only sweets forbidden during the diet. It goes well with many dishes, even with meat.
The caloric content of the spice is quite high - 260 kcal per 100 grams, but since it can only be eaten 2 grams per day, the maximum that can be obtained is 5.2 kcal.
When spice powder is added to a drink not for medical purposes, but for culinary purposes, such a volume is not needed. A little bit of spice is also able to add flavor to a cup of coffee - at the tip of a knife.
With various diseases
Because medical recipes also suggest ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, people who heal at the same time and lose weight should reduce the dose.
To improve the work of the digestive system, prevent diseases of the cardiovascular, urogenital system, normalize the menstrual cycle, cinnamon should be used regularly, adding as a seasoning. The dose depends on the particular dish, but should not exceed the daily rate. Approximate calculation, which is to be guided, 1 tsp per kilogram of meat.
For colds and viral diseases:
- To stimulate immunity, to treat the throat, it is useful to drink tea with cinnamon (at the tip of a knife) and a slice of lemon with zest. Strengthen the action by adding ginger, raspberry, honey to tea.
- When coughing, it is recommended to take seasoning with honey. Per liter of boiling water to take a teaspoon of cinnamon and honey, add a little ground black pepper. Drink in small doses (liter - for 2 days) at intervals of 4 hours. The second option is to mix directly with honey. Take 5 days.
- To relieve coughing, you can make inhalation with cinnamon essential oil. It takes 2-3 drops per procedure.
- For the treatment of sore throat, pharyngitis, tonsillitis use a spice for gargling. Take 1 teaspoon per 250 ml of warm water.
- When overcooling, a 20-minute bath with a couple of cinnamon spoons is taken to prevent colds.
- When diabetes is added to tea or kefir. When taken with a fermented milk product, wait 30 minutes, then drink.
- Depression is treated with a smell. 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil are added to the oil burner.
Pregnancy is not an absolute contraindication to the intake of cinnamon, but the danger arises from regular use or exceeding the dose. One-time, non-systematic cases of adding a pinch of powder to a drink, the use of baking with spice can not harm the fetus. However, it is better to consult a doctor.
It is useful to use the essential oil of spices for flavoring the room - it improves mood, relieves anxiety, irritability, gives vigor, reduces fatigue. But do not forget that pregnant women can have a negative reaction to almost any odor.
ATTENTION! The use of oil for cosmetic purposes should be abandoned for the duration of pregnancy and lactation.
Folk recipes for the beauty of the body, skin and hair
The ability of cinnamon to increase blood circulation, is useful in healing the skin of the face, eliminating pallor, strengthening and preventing hair loss, preventing cellulite. Antiseptic properties of the product make it useful for eliminating papillomas and warts, fungal lesions of the skin.
For face skin
- Rejuvenation. Mash a third part of a banana with half a spoonful of lemon juice, two tablespoons of sour cream, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Apply on face, keep a quarter of an hour, rinse with warm water.
- Improve skin color. In a spoon of almond or peach oil, add 2 drops of essential oil of spices. Stir, apply a thin layer on the skin. After waiting for partial absorption of the oil, remove the excess with a cotton swab.
Cellulite scrub. In 100 g of vegetable oil, add a teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir the mixture. To put with the easy, massing movements on the areas subject to cellulitis. Massage for 20 minutes, then wash off the scrub with soap.
- Stimulation of growth, strengthening hair. A tablespoon of cinnamon and egg yolk add to a glass of kefir, mix thoroughly. Apply to clean hair, spreading over the scalp. After half an hour, wash off the mask, ideally - without shampoo.
- Elimination of fragility of hair, adding shine. Three tablespoons of vegetable oil (preferably coconut, optimally burdock or castor, you can olive), a tablespoon of honey and cinnamon mix, apply on the entire length of the hair and scalp. Wash off after 30 minutes.
- For weakened hair. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of blue clay to the consistency of sour cream, add yolk, 2 spoons of vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons of spice powder, a pinch of red ground pepper. The mixture is applied after washing the hair, wrap the head, incubated for 15-30 minutes depending on the sensations. If burning and discomfort occurs, wash off earlier.
Cinnamon in cooking
Cinnamon is actively used in all world cuisines. The popularity of tart spices is associated with a pronounced sweet aroma, which, depending on growing conditions, may have chocolate, honey, floral, even resinous notes.
Traditionally, it is used in baking and confectionery - classic cinnabon buns, Christmas cookies, jelly, ice cream, jam, berry mousses. And also for flavoring coffee, tea, mulled wine, grog, cocoa, cocktails.
Spice is used as a seasoning for fish, meat, vegetable, mushroom dishes, soups, sausages, pies, cereals.
It is perfectly combined with dairy and dairy products, a large number of fruits - with all citrus fruits, apples, pears. Successful companions of cinnamon - ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, coriander, rosemary, patchouli, thyme.
Antibacterial properties allow it to be used as a preservative, added to perishable foods, for the preparation of marinades, for canning vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, meat.
There are 3 types of spices:
- Ceylon (cinnamon).
- Chinese (cassia, indian or fake).
- Malabar (cinnamon Himalayan, Indian laurel, brown or wood cinnamon).
Cinnamon is considered a high class spice, it has the most delicate taste and aroma. That it has useful properties that are valued in medicine, cooking, cosmetology.
Malabar cinnamon has a faint aroma and, unlike sweet Ceylon, a bitter and sharp taste.
The taste and aroma of cassia is the sharpest. Most often, it is sold in a widely available under the name "cinnamon."
Distinguishing between cinnamon and cassia in appearance is very simple:
- The color of the Chinese spice sticks is dark brown, and the Ceylon color is light yellow.
- Cinnamon stick is easy to break with his hands, from this its edges look slightly "shabby." Cassius "grind in a mortar or coffee grinder" is impossible, and the edge of the tube is smooth.
- The thickness of the layer in the two species is very different. In Ceylon, it is less than a millimeter, in Cassia - about 2 mm.
Ceylon spice is obtained from the bark Cinnamomum verum, one of the species of cinnamon tree belonging to the family of Laurel, whose birthplace is Sri Lanka, India, China. This is an evergreen tree, reaching a height of 15 meters, but for the production of spices use the bark of young shoots of two-year-old trees. Cultivated in other countries - Indonesia, Brazil, Guinea, Cambodia, Jamaica, Madagascar, Martinique. But most of the supply comes from Sri Lanka.
For the production of cassia use a different type of tree - Cinnamomum cassia, which grows in South China, Indochina, Sri Lanka, Sumatra, Java.
Cinnamon essential oil is obtained from young shoots and leaves of Cinnamomum verum. For the production requires a lot of raw materials - the share of oil is 1-1.5% by weight of the processed mass.
It has a sweet-spicy, balsamic taste with a bitter tinge. In the medical purposes it is applied in the external purposes, inside, for an aromatherapy.
CAUTION! The use of concentrated essential oil is strictly prohibited!
The aroma of the oil has a beneficial effect on the psycho-emotional state of the patient, pacifying, creating a sense of security, reducing anxiety. Enhances the effect of peppermint oil.
It is harmoniously combined with the aromas of the essential oils of ylang-ylang, juniper, fir, myrtle, lavender, sage, rose, rosemary, orange, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, tea tree, myrrh.
Opinion doctors about cinnamon
Official medicine has already recognized a number of medicinal properties of cinnamon.
- At the conference of the American Heart Association, devoted to cardiac pathologies, experimental data were presented, confirming that the spice slows down the process of gaining fat mass, therefore the risk of heart disease decreases. Thanks to cinnamon, you can lower the level of sugar and insulin in the blood. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties were confirmed.
- The results of experiments on rodents, conducted by scientists from the Medical Center of the University of Rush in Chicago in 2016, showed that taking spices improves memory, learning ability, and prevents the development of Parkinson's disease.
- In a 2014 study conducted by the University of Arizona, it was confirmed that cinnamon contributes to the treatment of colon cancer due to the high content of cinnamon aldehyde.
- Back in 2003, Merkoll and Campbell, representatives of the American Diabetes Association, proved the ability of cinnamon to reduce the amount of sugar and cholesterol in the blood, prevent the formation of blood clots, and increase the elasticity of blood vessels.
The spice, excellent in culinary qualities, is also a valuable food additive useful in the treatment and prevention of many diseases. However, like any strong remedy, it can harm. It is necessary to remember about moderation in use and contraindications. It is important to take Ceylon cinnamon, and only natural cinnamon oil. Treatment or care of your appearance with the help of this amazing tool that can deliver a pleasure.