Beef carcass for a cook is meat tenderloin, brisket, back part, shank, etc. And the liver, kidneys, stomach, and heart fall into the category of by-products. With experience and from tripe, you can create a culinary masterpiece, as many housewives do not realize.
What is tripe
Required to call part of the front wall of the first foregut of the animal. In some countries, this by-product is a delicacy. Meat can be obtained in large quantities, and the viscera in the animal is much smaller.
Tripe dishes are valued among people actively involved in sports. The by-product contains protein, with a low calorie content, and a vitamin-mineral complex, necessary for the body. For those accustomed to lead a dynamic lifestyle, tripe becomes a godsend to supplement the usual diet.
Butchers offer the buyer beef tripe in processed form, that is, kept at high temperatures. You do not have to spend time on cleaning the house, you can immediately start cooking. But real connoisseurs of beef are interested only in the original version of the rumen, in order to independently conduct all the preparatory activities before creating a satisfying and healthy dish.
What to look for when buying
To purchase high-quality beef tripe at an affordable price, you need to visit the butcher shop. Buying in the store eliminates the need to clean the product at home, and when buying in the market, you need to inspect the goods. It is important that the requirements meet all quality criteria.
|Colour||Smell||Structure||The presence of various entities|
|In a fresh product, a characteristic light gray color should prevail.||The smell of high-quality scar should not differ from the smell of fresh meat. Any stranger and unpleasant shade says that the tripe is "stale". It is not worth buying.||The structure of the surface should be shiny and covered with a small leathery pile. In some instances there is no cover of this type, but it is worth considering for purchase. The main thing is that the scar glistened and had a diamond-shaped pattern.||The presence of any formation on the surface of the scar, mucous or putrid areas, speaks of corruption.|
This event is carried out by soaking in the milk composition or in water with the addition of food acid. But even after this procedure it is not always possible to achieve the desired effect.
The taste and aroma of the finished tripe will depend on its quality. Even taking into account all the rules of cleaning this part of the carcass and its long cooking, do not overly expect to receive a culinary masterpiece.
To the rumen - boiled, fried or stewed, apply a number of requirements:
- Offal from the market must be pre-processed.
- To make the dish tasty, you have to cook for more than 5 hours.
- It is important to follow the steps in the cooking process.
At the preparatory stage of cleaning and processing it also takes a lot of time, but the hours and effort spent on it will surely justify themselves, since the result will be a delicious and healthy homemade delicacy.
Preparatory stage and step-by-step cleaning plan
Cleaning beef tripe is a laborious process, so the hostess must prepare for it. First you need to make sure you have the right ingredients:
- Beef tripe.
- Cold water and boiling water.
- Large pans or basin.
- Table vinegar and baking soda.
- Potassium permanganate.
- Coarse salt.
- Slaked lime.
Preparing everything you need, you can start cleaning, acting on the following plan.
- We clear the tripe from the contents of the stomach, rinsing under running water. Cut into pieces so that the processing was convenient.
- Pour the pieces with hot water. This will make skin removal easier. Scrape off the dirt with a sharp knife.
- Remove the fat layer - they are not suitable for food.
- At the end of the first stage, rinse again with cold water. Prepare a solution of water and salt in the proportions of 1 liter for 45 g.
- Scar dip in salt solution for soaking for 3 hours. We repeat the procedure 3-4 times, changing the clouded water and rinsing the meal in cold water. If the taste of the solution is unpleasant, you can add a little table vinegar.
- Prepared scar can be boiled in salted water.
- 20 minutes after boiling, drain the water, wash the by-product and put in boiling salted water for 20 minutes.
- The treatment is repeated three times until the unpleasant smell is completely eliminated.
- Prepare the solution with the addition of potassium permanganate slightly pink hue. We immerse the product in it for 3 hours.
- Wash after the solution of potassium permanganate, rolled in coarse-grained salt. Give brew for half an hour.
- While the soak is soaked with salt, we are preparing an acetic ammonia solution. In 1 liter of water add 5 ml of ammonia and vinegar. Soak salted tripe in this solution for 3 hours and then rinse in cold water.
- Finally, cook for 3 hours.
That's all! Delicacy is ready to eat!
On the beneficial properties of tripe
Virtually the entire scar is composed of muscle fibers, therefore it is rich in high-quality protein content. It also contains:
- Vitamins B1, AT2, AT12 and PP;
- Minerals: iodine, zinc, copper, selenium, calcium, iron, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, phosphorus.
Low energy value allows to consider the product dietary. In 100 g of the portion of the finished tripe 97 kcal.
It should be included in the diet of the use of scar people who are trying to adhere to the rules of healthy eating. It does not contain carbohydrates, and a small amount of fat. The only contraindication to use is individual intolerance.
Processing and cleaning beef tripe is not an easy job. It is important to be patient, but special culinary skills are not required. Spend a few hours to enjoy a delicacy and treat family members or friends.
There are many options for serving beef trips to the table - as a hot first course, dishes for the second, by filling out vegetables or adding a side dish. You can offer a scar as a snack for an aperitif, most importantly, to show imagination.