The Orthodox Church connects the tradition of fasting with the Great Feasts, Sacred Historical Events and the Sacrament of Communion. Fasting is an ascetic practice, which involves the abstinence of human consumption of animal food, moderation in lean food, the rejection of other carnal pleasures.
What traditions are observed in Lent?
The total duration of Lent is forty-eight days. Last week, the time of Holy Week, is devoted to thorough preparation for Easter.
- Since the beginning of Great Monday, it is important to do cleanliness and order in the house.
- On Tuesday - to devote time to washing and ironing.
- The environment is intended for economic work.
- Thursday - to get rid of garbage. Also on this day, according to tradition, they are engaged in baking Easter cakes, which act not just as a symbol of festive bread, but as the body of Christ himself.
- Friday is a special day of abstaining from any food, household chores and fun.
- On Saturday, all the hostesses again start household chores - they bother in the kitchen, paint eggs.
The whole period of Great Lent people spend in prayers, read spiritual books and confess, refrain from the use of non-apostolic products.
What foods can be consumed while fasting
The time of abstaining from the unfulfilled food does not negate the variety of dishes, on the contrary - the special purpose of fasting is to gain a person’s understanding of the true joy and holiness of the process from simple meals. Products are steamed, boiled, baked in the oven or grilled without the addition of oil and spices. The basis of everything should be: vegetables, fruits and berries, root vegetables, cereals, legumes, nuts, mushrooms.
This list of products does not imply their strict use. You can deliciously diversify the menu without breaking the canons of fasting: bake bread from cereals, make jam, cook bean soup and much more.
What dishes can you eat
|The first||Buckwheat potato soup||Vegetables are boiled. As cooking potatoes add cereal, and continues to cook until fully cooked buckwheat.|
|Lentil Chowder||Lentils are boiled together with carrots for 3 hours, stirred regularly. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf. Garlic crumble 5 minutes before the readiness of the dish. You can add a little water to dilute the chowder.|
|Cabbage Tomato Soup||Diced potatoes are sent to boil until they are half cooked, then chopped onions, cabbage and carrots are added (can be sliced) and seasoned with tomato paste (2 tbsp), bay leaf is added 5 minutes before the soup is fully cooked. For decoration use parsley and dill.|
|Lenten soup||Potatoes are cut into 2 parts, onions - by 4. Cabbage leaves are separated from the stalk, cut and thrown to boil in the broth with greens, add pepper and bay leaf. If you use celery root, it is cut into large strips or tinder on a coarse grater. Finely chopped carrots are mixed with garlic seasoning and injected into soup. For spiciness, you can season with red pepper.|
|The second||Boiled Potatoes with Nuts||The washed potatoes are boiled in their skins, cooled, cleaned and cut into cubes. Mix ground walnuts with garlic gruel, red pepper and salt. The spicy mixture is mixed with potatoes, seasoned with vinegar with shredded onions, the finished dish is decorated with fresh herbs.|
|Lenten meatballs from potatoes||Potatoes are boiled, mashed in mashed potatoes. Squeeze the nut oil into a mixture of spices and herbs (to crush the nuts before extracting the “juice”, use a high-power blender), pour them into separate dishes. Pour water with vinegar diluted in it into a mixture of nuts and spices, add finely chopped onion and greens. Combine with potato mass. Small meatballs are molded from the resulting "dough", spread on a plate, making a small depression in each ball, into which nut oil is poured.|
|Bean puree||Beans are boiled until half cooked, add finely chopped onion, salt. When the dishes are ready, the mashed potatoes are filtered, the broth is left to dilute the bean mass. All fill with a nut crumb, vinegar and decorate with greens.|
|Vegetable Barley||Washed barley is poured with water, brought to a boil and cooked over medium heat for 2 hours. In the process of cooking add grated carrots, finely chopped onions and spices, bay leaf - 5 minutes before the dish is ready.|
|Salads without adding oil||Salad with prunes||Finely chopped cabbage fray with sugar and salt, squeeze the juice. Prunes are stoned and soaked for 2 hours in hot water. Rub carrots with lemon. All ingredients are mixed in a large bowl.|
|Salad with carrots and pickles||Cucumbers finely chopped, pour tomato juice, season with pepper and set aside for 20 minutes. Finely chop the carrots, combine with the cucumber mixture and serve to the table.|
|Carrot Apple Salad||The apple is peeled, cut into strips, mixed with grated carrots. Add sugar, salt, season with vinegar.|
|Pumpkin and Apple Salad||Pumpkin with apples tinder shavings, "seasoned" lemon zest and sprinkled with lemon juice. Sweeten the mixture with honey, crumble nuts on top.|
|Dessert||Cranberry Mousse||Squeeze juice from cranberries, boil and filter. Cranberry squeeze boil, add sugar and semolina. Stir regularly during cooking. The finished gruel is cooled, add cranberry nectar, beat with a kitchen whisk or a mixer. Mousse laid out on bowls. They are decorated with whole cranberries.|
|Lemon Jelly with Rice||The rice is boiled with sugar. Agar is poured with water, heated to complete dissolution (do not boil!), Add sugar, juice of 2 lemons. Heat again, avoiding boiling. Warm rice is poured with a jelly mixture, cooled and placed in a refrigerator. Frozen portions of rice jelly are poured over with sugar-lemon syrup.|
- Dried fruits and nuts are suitable as the nutritional basis of a lean diet. You can combine them with honey. A delicious dessert snack will saturate the body with energy for a long time, and also be a source of vitamins.
- It is a mistaken opinion that in the post menu is poorer than usual. From one root vegetables can cook a variety of dishes. Using onions, cauliflower or broccoli can diversify the diet with health benefits.
- Greens and beans will help digestion cope with the work.
- A rich breakfast of cereals, cooked without the addition of milk, can be combined with vegetables. And for lovers of sweet breakfasts, jam is suitable as a dish supplement.
- Pasta - space for the manifestation of culinary fantasies. Recipes for cooking noodles will diversify the dining table, adding vegetable sauces and mushrooms.
- An alternative to vegetable oil for salad dressing is marinade or lemon juice. For eggs, there is also a substitute - for example, tofu, flax seeds, sunflower, or pumpkin.
What products are strictly prohibited in Lent
With the observance of the post under strict prohibition is the use of products:
- Animal origin: meat, eggs, milk. However, on certain days, fish dishes - in the Annunciation (April 7) and Palm Sunday, are permissible. Caviar can be eaten on Lazarus Saturday.
- Vegetable oil is not allowed to be added to food throughout the entire fasting period, but it is possible to season cereals or salads on Holy Thursday and on holidays in honor of the saints, the Sebastian martyrs and St. Gregory of Dvoeslov.
- Any sweets, including pastries.
- Fast food and alcoholic beverages.
- Day Clean Monday and Great Heel decided to hold without edible.
Many consider the tradition of fasting to be ascetic, but conscious abstinence proves to be a useful practice for the human body. All diseases come from ignorance of the measure. An exception to the time from the menu of fried, fatty, spiced dishes helps to establish normal digestion.
The Orthodox Church permits easing of strict rules of nutrition during fasting for women in the situation, elderly people with serious diseases and those who are engaged in heavy physical labor.
Recommendations for those wishing to comply with Lent.
Lent is the ideal conditions for spiritual cleansing of man. It is very important to observe special rules of behavior during this period:
- Eliminate the use of alcoholic beverages.
- Limit entertainment and entertainment activities.
- Make every effort to control emotions, avoid outbursts of anger.
- To pacify one’s flesh means to take the first step on the path of pacifying one’s spirit. Restricted nutrition helps to realize the spiritual self-perception, to be cleansed from negative emotions and thoughts. If there is no goal, cleanse the soul, lean food is simply dietary.
How to organize a diet after fasting
At the end of Lent, it is important to properly return to the usual diet:
- Do not go sharply to the food of animal origin. The digestive system will be difficult to cope with the digestion of meat after prolonged abstinence.
- It is recommended to start with a small piece of cheese or chicken breast, steamed.
- It is important in the initial days after the end of the post not perepalivat products.
- You need to eat small portions several times a day, gradually increasing the contents of the plate, so as not to reboot the stomach.
The practice of fasting must be approached consciously, having studied not only the list of permitted or forbidden foods, but also adjust your body for spiritual change.
For modern people, the canons of the monastic charter are too demanding and tough, because many fast, avoiding the experience of dry eating. A spiritual guide in the church will be able to give individual advice for everyone on how best to organize food during Lent.