Nature has given mankind many delicious foods, the most popular of which are mushrooms growing on the fields and in the forests. People have long been eaten and harvested for the winter in salted, pickled or dried. The topic of today's conversation is the preparation of lines and morels at home.
How to cook morels
Soaking promotes the removal of poisonous acids from morels, and heat treatment finally eliminates harmful substances and helps to get the foundation for more complex culinary delights.
- First of all, rinse the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, then in the pan, cover with ice water, add a little salt and leave to soak for an hour.
- After time, put the pan on the stove and turn on the medium heat. After boiling the liquid, boil for at least 7 minutes.
- Drain the broth, re-rinse the morels, cover with cold water and return to the stove. Add salt. After boiling, boil for 20 minutes.
After these manipulations, gently shift the mushrooms in a colander and leave in it for half an hour. As a result, the excess liquid will leave and the original structure will remain. The dish can be served to the table with onions and vegetable oil or used to prepare other treats, including juliens with mushrooms.
How to fry morels
It is recommended to boil forest mushrooms before shipment to the frying pan, including pulpberries and rows. And since they are subjected to prolonged heat treatment before frying, there is no need to keep them in the pan for a long time. Fifteen minutes is enough to leave excess moisture and an appetizing crust appears.
- Morels - 1 kg.
- Onion - 200 g
- Vegetable and sunflower oil.
- If you plan to fry morels at home, first rinse them with water, clean and boil them. Before the second stage of cooking, remove the legs and cut the caps in half. Boil out morels fold in a colander.
- Peeled and washed onions cut into half rings or quarters. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan, add a little butter, fry chopped onion.
- When the onion is reddened, send boiled morels to the pan. Roast no more than 10 minutes, stirring regularly. At the end of salt. That's all.
I advise you to serve morels fried with onions along with boiled potatoes. Put on a plate of potatoes cut in quarters, put the fried mushrooms on top. To add spice and beauty, use green onions and dill. Rice is also suitable as a side dish.
How to marinate morels
Housewives who do not represent the off-season without pickled mushrooms, offer a wonderful recipe. Canned morels have an incredible taste and are stored for a long time, suitable even for winter. Wonderful find for lovers of the exotic.
- Morels - 2 kg.
- Salt - 2 tablespoons.
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon.
- Laurel - 6 leaves.
- Peppermint - 8 pcs.
- Dill umbrellas - 8 pcs.
- Carnation - 6 pcs.
- Vinegar - 0.5 tablespoons.
- Rinse and brush the mushrooms. Cut large pieces into pieces, cover with water, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes, removing the foam. Throw in a colander, fill with new water, salt and boil for 25 minutes after boiling.
- After the time expires, replace the water, add salt and the spices and spices indicated in the recipe. After boiling, add sugar and salt, after 10 minutes, pour in the vinegar and mix.
- Fill sterilized jars with spicy mushrooms and roll them up.
A dry and ventilated basement is best suited for storing marinated morels for the winter. If there is no such room, keep the preservation in the refrigerator or in the closet.
How to dry morels
Fans of quiet hunting harvest mushrooms for the winter in dried form. Morels in a dry form are further used for the preparation of various culinary products, the most delicious of which is considered an incredibly fragrant soup. The easiest way is to dry in the oven.
- Fresh morels.
- Use for drying intact, young morels. Each mushroom gently wipe with a damp sponge or cloth, cut the legs. Dry better hats themselves.
- Cover the baking sheet with parchment paper, put the prepared mushrooms on top. Send the pan to the oven. For the first three hours, dry at 50 degrees, then raise the temperature to 70 degrees. Dry with the door ajar.
- Spread dry mushrooms in glass jars and close. Store in a cool dry place.
If you want to dry morels naturally, it will take at least three months. Put the prepared mushrooms on the laid baking sheet and dry in the fresh air, turning over periodically.
Morels in dried form are very brittle and require careful handling. But even if some have crumbled, don't be discouraged. Grind them into powder and use as a seasoning when cooking hot meat and vegetable dishes. Mushroom soup turns out excellent.
One more thing. After drying, morels are suitable for culinary use for a maximum of three months.
Where to grow and when to collect morels
In the CIS, morels grow everywhere. Most often they are found in a wooded area with deciduous or mixed vegetation along the edges and overgrown with moss lowlands, fires, wastelands, forest margins and field edges. The results of botanical studies have shown that these mushrooms "do not sit in place" and constantly migrate. Scientists did not find an explanation for this phenomenon.
Experienced mushroom pickers are well aware that morels are the earliest spring mushrooms. The first representatives appear in April and collect them until the end of May. It is noteworthy that in some countries they are very much appreciated. In particular, in the United States per kilogram of this delicacy is often asked for several hundred dollars.
Benefit and harm
Morels contain a lot of vitamins and beneficial trace elements, it contains a polysaccharide substance that has a positive effect on visual acuity. Morels are used in the manufacture of medicinal drugs that strengthen the eye muscles and prevent lens opacities. Additionally, these mushrooms increase the appetite and improve the functioning of the digestive system, have a tonic effect on the body.
Morels - tasty and healthy mushrooms, provided proper preparation. Before eating to neutralize poisonous acids they are recommended to soak, boil or dry. If this is not done, the meal will end with poisoning. In the best case, a person is worried about nausea and vomiting, and at worst a coma is waiting.
How to distinguish morels from false mushrooms
Almost every edible mushroom has a poisonous clone. Moreover, not every amateur mushroom picker is able to distinguish between edible morel and false counterpart, which is saturated with toxins. We are talking about the Veselka ordinary or gouty morel. According to statistics, one fifth of the deaths after eating mushrooms accounted for false morels.
How to protect yourself and your family? In edible morel hat has a lattice surface with numerous irregularities and recesses. The false cap is covered with wavy lobes and looks like the cortex of the human brain.
In a false morel, the cap is not fully attached to the base. If a mushroom is cut, white flesh is found inside. Edible morels inside are hollow. Be sure to remember this information if you want to try exotic mushrooms for breakfast or dinner. Good luck!