Time is running fast. Recently, the family brought from the maternity hospital a small package with a serenely sleeping baby, years passed, the boy grew and developed. As a result, there comes a moment when yesterday's baby begins preparing for adulthood. In the article, you will learn how much boys have a transitional age, its duration, symptoms and signs.
Features of adolescence
- A transitional age is a special stage in the life of any person, accompanied by puberty, physical development and continued growth. At this point, the formation of systems and internal organs ends. Intensive hormone production begins in the body.
- In boys, transitional age begins a little later than in girls. Around middle school, girls start turning into girls, and boys still look childish. After literally a year, the differences disappear.
- The transitional age in boys does not stand out clearly defined boundaries in terms of time. In adolescents, the features of the period are manifested unequally. Each organism is characterized by individual rhythms. Therefore, to say how long the transitional age is problematic.
Attentive and caring parents should pay attention to the signs and symptoms of transitional age, which signal its onset.
Signs and symptoms of transitional age in boys
During the transitional age, the appearance and psyche of the boy changes. The period is accompanied by hormonal changes and puberty. The teenager begins to be critical of appearance and worry.
Practice shows that boys who are subjected to greater physical exertion and consume alcoholic beverages reach sexual maturity later than their peers who are engaged in physical culture and do not kill their health with harmful habits.
Knowing the signs and symptoms of transitional age, you will in the early stages determine the beginning of changes and provide support to your child.
- At the age of ten, the boy's genitals begin to grow. A year later, over the genitals appears vegetation and pigmentation of the scrotum. The following year, the genitals continue to grow, and the vegetation becomes longer and thicker.
- At age 14, the voice changes. This is due to an increase in the vocal cords, the development of the throat muscles and cartilage. The voice starts to get rude. Usually the formation of a voice ends in 24 months.
- Armpit hair begins to grow, and the upper lip is covered with the first gun. Over time, vegetation appears on the face, legs and arms. The formation of bodily hair ends by the end of the transitional age.
- By the age of 14, the young man’s muscles begin to develop, his shoulders widen, his height increases.
- Almost all boys in adolescence appear wet dreams - night ejaculation. Doctors consider this a normal phenomenon.
As you can see, the transition period is characterized by clear signs and symptoms.
Psychology of transitional age
During the transitional age, the behavior and character of the young man undergo changes. The boy begins to be very disturbed by his appearance.
He tries to look good, and criticizes extremely aggressive. Constant discontent with appearance is a natural manifestation of maturation. Against this background, uncertainty and bashfulness may appear, which together often leads to isolation.
- Growing up boy is accompanied by a radical change in behavior. This is due to physiological factors, including oily hair, acne, intense sweating. The young man wakes up interest in girls. And the ultimate goal - to find a soul mate.
- Against the background of dissatisfaction with oneself, sudden aggression and high nervousness appear. The transitional age is accompanied by a manifestation of rudeness to the people around the boy - parents, teachers, peers.
- The surge of emotions is an integral element of the stage, caused by the restructuring of the body. The hormones responsible for puberty of a boy are called androgens.
- During this period, young men position themselves as adult men. They strive to prove their independence to others. Under the influence of emotions, they do things without thinking about the consequences.
- Boys are beginning to be actively interested in intimate relationships and they are strongly attracted to sexual intimacy. This is an alarming time for parents, since the acceleration of puberty is often accompanied by the appearance of violations in sexual behavior.
- Often, the transitional age is characterized by the manifestation of sexual attention to other boys. This is due to unconscious sexual desire at the time of rapid development of the organism. Usually after the start of the "right" intimate relationship, deviations disappear. Otherwise, you need to take the child to a psychologist.
- At this age, sometimes there are thoughts of suicide. According to statistics, the number of such cases among teenage children is growing rapidly. Suicidal behavior is considered a consequence of the activation of protective mechanisms, a tribute to fashion, imitation of friends. Such an act has different motives: low academic performance, physical abuse, loneliness, revenge, drug addiction.
If your son's behavior has changed, help him navigate the situation.
How to behave parents
Physiological changes in conjunction with mental problems make adolescence in boys a difficult period. It will take an effort to help the child.
Regrettably, but there is no universal approach, each case is individual. Have patience and endurance, move to the goal, following the advice of practicing psychologists.
- friendship. The environment plays a significant role in the boy's life, so parents will need to try to get into it. It is not easy to do, because the son is sure that you cannot understand him. Try to open up to him and show that you have complexes and disadvantages. Becoming a friend to your child, you get access to everything that happens in his life, and if necessary, help.
- Showing interest. During the maturation of the boy, the system of worldview and values changes significantly. Showing interest in the hobbies of the child, and supporting it, you deserve trust. Regularly talk with him, be interested in reasoning and life, involve in participation in solving family issues.
- freedom. A teenage boy needs personal space and his own room. The child should be given freedom and the right to choose. You should not control all his actions, eavesdrop on conversations and conduct an audit of things. If you strongly limit the child, it will increase the likelihood of trouble, because the forbidden fruit is sweeter. Communicate, find compromises and direct it in the right direction.
- No criticism. There are situations when you can not do without criticism. In this case, it must be constructive. Direct it not to the son, but to his behavior, deeds and mistakes. Adolescents are sensitive to comments, it is recommended to express discontent gently, and in some cases accompanied by praise.
- Identity recognition. The boy is a full-fledged person, with certain interests, views and personal opinion. Do not try to change your son or impose your opinion on him.
- Praise. Expressing the boy words of approval and praise, you contribute to the emergence of strength and desire to conquer new heights. If the child has done a little good deed, praise will be an incentive for development and improvement. As a result, the son will be better.
- Patience. If your son is rude, do not go beyond. Remember, high emotionality is a consequence of transitional age. A violent response will lead to scandal. To make the conversation more productive, spend it in a relaxed atmosphere.
Finally I will give a little advice. If you want to ease the transitional age, write the boy in some section. It is important that the child is interested in a new occupation before the onset of the responsible period. Swimming, football, martial arts will help keep the body in great shape, distract from bad thoughts and stabilize the hormonal storm.
Sports mode is not friendly with smoking and alcohol. If the son is involved in sports, the likelihood of acquaintance with addiction will decrease significantly. Moreover, because of the constant training, he will not have time to communicate with the guys who are addicted to alcohol and cigarettes.