The cost of high-quality laying of one square tile approaches the price of the finishing material itself. Consequently, many people are interested in how to lay tiles on the floor and walls on their own.
Facing by tiles organizes a durable and beautiful decorative coating. Upon completion of the finishing work will get the perfect surface.
- Stitches. In the case of wall tiles, the seams are horizontal and vertical. If it concerns the floor, perpendiculars and parallels come to the fore. The width of the seams should be the same. To achieve this effect, small plastic crosses of the same size help.
- Vertical seams are usually checked by a plumb. The size of the maximum deviation of the seam from the vertical axis should not exceed 1 mm. If the deviation is large, the first row is to blame.
- The width and verticality of the seam is determined by the skill of laying and the quality of the tile. Ideally, the size should be the same height, width and diagonal. Contrary to the fact that at the enterprises the material is collected in calibrated packages, it is not always possible to avoid size differences.
- The surface of the tiled surface should be as flat as possible. It is not difficult to check - attach a building level to the plane and slip a banknote under it.
- Beginners tilers, laying tiles on a non-vertical wall, break up the rows. Closer to the top, the glue layer grows and may crack, and the tile may fall off. In this case, the ideal plane has only to dream. Pre-leveling the wall will help to avoid this.
- In some cases, the material does not differ flat plane. Consequently, at the very end of facing works, “Amur waves” are formed. To check the quality of the tile plane, it is very easy to take two tiles from one package and attach to each other. If there are gaps between the faces, this indicates an unsatisfactory plane. The plane can be checked vertically and horizontally.
- Tiled surface should be level. As the theory goes, tiles are placed on the most even surface. That is why uneven floors and walls are pre-leveled with screed and plaster. Uneven walls can not be leveled with a layer of glue. The result will be a thick layer of matter that will adversely affect the strength.
- The tile is placed in a plane so that the adhesive layer does not increase strongly.
When laying tile, be sure to observe the plane, horizon and level.
If the bathroom has uneven walls, pay attention to alignment.
How to put tile on the floor
There is an opinion that hand laying tiles on the floor is a laborious and complicated procedure. People who hold such an opinion are greatly mistaken.
- To begin, prepare the floor. Remove dirt from the surface, moisten with clean water and level with a solution. The floor is primed and allowed to dry.
- Tile on the floor put in two ways. The first involves the use of cement mortar, the second - a special glue.
- Take four tiles and arrange in the corners of the room. When laying other tiles, they serve as landmarks.
- Tile laid parallel to the window line. The laying of the first row starts from the first, located in the corner. Be sure to level by level.
- In the case of cement, the tile is recommended to seal to the floor. If glue is used, apply to the tile and apply to the surface.
- Laying the second tile, close to the first. Remove excess glue mix and separate with plastic crosses. The result is a seam.
- Sometimes the whole tile doesn't fit. In this case, trim using a special tool.
- After completing the installation, wait a day. After the deadline, proceed to the seams.
- If the tile is laid on cement, remove the excess mortar, and after 48 hours pour cement milk. After two days, remove the cement, leaving only the seams.
- In the case of glue, after drying, grout the joints using a flexible spatula.
After completing the installation surface must be washed. If the tile is laid on cement, it is allowed to use the room in a week. In the case of glue - after 48 hours.
Tips for laying wall tiles
It is recommended to finish the walls in rooms with high humidity ceramic tiles. It turns out a great waterproof coating that will last for many years. The surface of the material is not susceptible to chemical attack, therefore, various means are used for cleaning.
A step-by-step plan for laying tiles on the walls will help avoid common mistakes and unnecessary costs.
- Calculate the number of tiles. Using a tape measure, measure the width and length of the walls, and calculate the area. Add another square to this value.
- Choose a tile carefully. The surface must be flat, without flaws and kinks.
- Plan your paperwork well in advance to find out where to cut it.
- Prepare the walls before laying. According to the rules, they should be leveled and primed. The quality of laying depends entirely on the flatness of the walls. Curves wall leveling will help drywall or plaster.
- Having completed the work on leveling the surface of the walls, proceed to the installation. It is recommended to use a special glue and tile cutting device.
- Attach the tile to the wall in order to lay the first row as straight as possible.
- Using a spatula with cloves, apply glue to the tile and spread it over the surface. If the wall is flat, the thickness of the adhesive layer is within 5 mm. If the curve, the layer thickness increases to eliminate the deviation.
- Attach the first tile to the rail and the corner of the room. Horizontally glue the following. Using the level, check the vertical and horizontal.
- Crosses are inserted between the tiles to get an even seam.
- Tile to lay row after row. After 5 rows, pause for the glue to dry. Adhesive mixture that goes outside through the seams, remove.
- When finished, wait 24 hours. Then, without fear of rubbing the seams with a special compound. It is recommended to apply grout with a flexible spatula.
Carefully read the information, proceed to laying tile. If the result of labor is far from ideal, do not be discouraged, because saving and precious experience is worth it.
We put tile on drywall
In rooms with high dampness and temperature drops, plasterboard is used to level the walls. This building material by leveling the walls, constructs are constructed from it, covering the wiring, sewage and water pipes.
Developed special rules for surface preparation and tile installation on a wall made of plasterboard.
- Under the drywall, make the crates. The basis is mounted with use of a bar or guides from metal. Pre-coat the tree with a special moisture-resistant impregnation.
- Screw drywall onto the crate. The distance from one screw to another does not exceed 20 cm. As a result, the drywall will not warp under the weight of the tile and the laying will remain intact.
- Engage the primer. If you ground the walls with a roller, use a special form to squeeze out excess liquid.
- Apply primer to drywall in two layers. After completing the procedure, wait for the surface to dry.
- Putty on the joints and heads of the screws. Use gypsum plaster and a narrow trowel.
- Wait for the plaster to dry and remove any unevenness with the skin. Prime ground areas.
- On a piece of paper lay out the tile to calculate how much finishing material is required. Purchase tiles in the store with a stock.
- Prepare the glue. As part of a simple procedure, it is important to adhere to the proportion indicated on the bag. By means of a drill and nozzle-mixer, mix the mixture.
- The finished mixture is applied to the wall evenly with a spatula. Then the place is carried out with a special scraper, as a result of which furrows will be obtained. In this case, the material is well grabbed with drywall.
- Start laying from the bottom row. Vertical and horizontal check level. Tilers recommend using plastic crosses to achieve even seams.
- After laying 5 rows take a breather. While relaxing, the tile will stick to the base.
- Having finished laying tile, wait a day. After that, apply a special grout to the joints with a small flexible spatula. Remove excess trowel mixture immediately with a sponge.
If it seemed that laying tile on a drywall is a difficult event, believe me, it is not. Have confidence and patience and get to work. After a few hours of practice, your actions will become more confident. The main thing is not to hurry.
Laying tile in the bathroom
Many companies offer the service "turnkey bathroom". The service deserves attention, but it is also expensive. It is more profitable to learn how to put tile on your own at home.
Before starting the main work, work with a pencil and a ruler. Based on the measurements, create a plan of the surface and determine the location of the tile. Be sure to note the location of friezes, borders and other decorative elements.
Strive to prevent narrow strips of tile in the corners of the room, because it looks ugly. Also decide on the styling option and size. After completing the calculations and calculations, proceed to work.
- Prepare the walls by carefully leveling. Smooth surface depends largely on the initial state.
- If the wall you intend to tile is painted earlier, completely remove the paint. Clay badly clings to painted surfaces. It is recommended to beat down the paint with a special nozzle punch. Use of the tool provides high speed of work. True, accompanied by noise. If there is no perforator, engage the grinder with a special nozzle.
- If you fail to mechanize the work, a hatchet or a spatula will come to the rescue if the layer of paint is holding up weakly.
- Remove debris from the wall and prime it twice for greater reliability.
- Before you start tiling work, resolve the issue with communications. It concerns sewage, wiring and plumbing. Facilitates the task of impact drill. The temperature inside the room should be above 8 degrees.
- Start cooking glue. In a bucket of water, sprinkle the dry mixture in small portions and mix with a mixer. See proportions on the package.
- So that the glue sticks well, soak the tiles in water for 10 minutes.
- To obtain the most smooth masonry is recommended to use the level. Place plastic crosses between the tiles. They will help make the seams extremely smooth.
- To lay tile differed evenness and quality, properly lay out the first row. This will help the water level and the metal profile attached to the marks.
- Align and prime the surface, begin the installation. Apply the adhesive mixture to the wall and spread it with a spatula with teeth. Then attach the tile to the wall.
- Tile on the wall is placed from the bottom up. Having laid out the first row on the installed profile, proceed to the second row and so on up to the ceiling. Check the surface level by level, as well as the verticality of the installed tile.
- Tiles on the floor fit the same principle. It is recommended to start from the far corner and move slowly in the direction of the door. To improve the convenience of laying, use the construction thread.
- After laying, leave work for 2 days. Then proceed to the mashing seams.
If you are repairing a bathroom without help, do not be afraid, be patient and move forward. Remember, all the great masters in the past started the same way. With a little practice, you will put your hand in and increase your skill level.
How to put tile in the kitchen
Everyone has to repair the kitchen. The best material for facing kitchen surfaces is ceramic tile. Its service life is estimated in decades, and after cooking pork and beef, it is much easier to wash the kitchen.
True, almost always a person is at a crossroads. One way involves the involvement of the master, and the second - independent work. Since the second option is cheaper, most prefer it.
- Prepare the room. Remove obsolete coating from all walls and tear off wallpaper. Remove the layer of oil paint from the wall is almost impossible. In this case, make a notch on its surface and prime it several times.
- Solve the issue with the wiring. Sockets should be installed at a height of 90 cm.
- Determine the level in the horizontal plane. It will help determine the place of laying tiles on the wall.
- Having received the markup, fix the flat bar or metal profile.
Without tools to solve the problem will not work. For tile laying you will need a drill, a mixer nozzle, two spatulas, crosses, a milling cutter and a flexible spatula, a sponge. The list of materials is represented by tiles, glue and grout.
An arrow or a special icon is applied on the back of the tile from the factory. Lay so that the arrows or icons look in one direction. As a result, the discrepancy will turn out to be insignificant.
- To glue a tile on a wall, having established on the rail which has been beaten earlier. By level set vertically.
- Glue the top tile, which is similarly aligned on a plane. To control the seams it is customary to use crosses, the size of which depends on the desired width.
- The remaining material is laid in a similar way to the corner of the room. Immediately put the bottom row, then the top, between them crosses.
- In the corners, the tile is cut using a grinder with a special circle or tile cutter.
Holes for switches and sockets cut out with a drill and cutters. Hurry with the solution of the problem is not worth it.
After completing the laying of tiles, wait a day. Then safely seal the joints with grout. Now it remains to lay the tile on the floor.
Ways of laying tile
Concluding the topic of the article, we consider the popular ways of laying tile at home. Some of them will help to visually raise the ceiling, others - to expand the room or hide defects.
- Direct masonry. Perfect and simple solution for rectangular rooms. Provides for the use of narrow tile and vertical installation.
- Diagonal styling. It will help to revive the room. Ideal in square rooms. The main advantage is the ability to mask oblique walls.
- Chess. Often found in old kitchens and bathrooms. In a small square room chess stacking helps to achieve a remarkable effect.
- Offset Stacking. Represents the perfect harmony of alternations and lines. Most often used in rectangular rooms. By choosing a large tile, by shifting the stacking, the room is visually enlarged.
- Mosaic. The surface, decorated in mosaic style, looks gorgeous. It makes no sense to lay the entire floor mosaic. It is enough to perform a frame, emphasizing and highlighting a different type of styling.
Want to make the room unique? Then choose one of the listed styling options. The effect will get breathtaking. With the help of proper styling, even in the summer kitchen, you will organize a New Year's interior.
We did not consider the theme of choosing the color of the tile, because personal preferences are coming to the fore. The main thing is to choose competently and with taste. Good luck with the repair and see you soon!